Job Classification and Compensation Unit (JCCU)
In keeping with its vision of creating and maintaining a Public Service that is professional highly motivated and responsive to the needs of our stakeholders, the Ministry of the Public Service, Energy and Public Utilities, as a core part of its function, exists to promote sound management practices conducive to efficient and effective public, electoral and energy administration. In order for the Ministry to achieve its purpose, the Job Classification and Compensation Unit has the responsibility for developing, maintaining and managing the job classification and compensation system for the Public Service that will:
- - assist in clarifying and improving organizational structure;
- - help in maintaining an “equal pay for equal work” policy – thus promoting equity and transparency of the system;
- - aid in the recruitment, selection and on-boarding process, by establishing meaningful job specifications, requirements and compensation;
- - facilitate better employee-management relations, by ensuring clarity of job functions, roles and relationships.
The main responsibility of Classification and Compensation Unit plans is to establish and maintain a credible classification and compensation system for the entire Public Service of Belize. The Unit performs significant analysis of workforce changes and labour market trends to organize and define different types of work and to determine requirements and compensation for public officers. Through its role and functions the Unit assist the Public Service to better attract, retain, develop, and motivate a high-performing, diverse workforce, by providing salaries that reflect internal equity and external competitiveness. To achieve its core functions, therefore, the Unit:
- - Collects and analyses data on all jobs and develops and revises job/class specifications for all positions.
- - Undertakes job evaluation/classification systems development, implementation and maintenance
- Develops and implements new job evaluation systems and manages and maintains the existing system.
- - Designs and implements new pay systems, and manages and maintains the existing pay system.
- - Conducts periodic compensation surveys in the relevant labour market.
- - Develops and implements salary/wage administration policies and ensures that the anomalies are eliminated from the compensation system.
- - Provides consultancy and advisory services in wage negotiation with associations/unions representing public officers, and in the management of grievances and disputes relating to the job classification and compensation system.
North Wing, Ground Floor
Sir. Edney Cain Building
Belize. Central America
(Coordinator, Job Classification and Compensation Unit)