Energy Video Competition 2017
The Ministry of Public Service, Energy and Public Utilities is pleased to announce that Belize will be hosting Energy Week 2017 during the week of November 21 - 24 under the observance of CARICOM Energy Month (CEM). CARICOM Energy Month 2017 and Belize’s National Energy Week 2017 will be celebrated under the theme “REthinking Energy”. Belize’s Energy Week 2017 activities will help to facilitate and promote stakeholder engagement in the discussion and exchange of ideas for appropriate energy related issues in Belize and sensitize the public about efficient utilization of energy and access to clean and alternative modern forms of energy.
As part of Energy Week 2017 activities the Energy Unit will be hosting a Video and Photography Competition.
‘Energy in 90 seconds’ Video Competition Guidelines:
1. There is no entry fee.
2. Must be a student of a secondary or tertiary level institution.
3. Each video must focus on one or more of the following:
a. Importance of Energy to Belize.
b. Sustainable energy usage at your home or within your community.
c. The connection of energy with economic developments and sustainable environmental needs.
4. All entries should begin with a 10 second full-screen “title screen” that includes the following information:
a. Title of video
d. School name
e. School Address
5. The length of the video should not exceed 90 seconds (1.5 minutes), not including the 10 second title screen (please note: videos exceeding 1.5 minutes will not be considered).
6. Students may work together in groups or submit entries as individuals. In the case of team submissions one member must act as the primary producer and contact person.
7. Limit of one submission per individual or team.
8. Videos must be original and unpublished works. Videos may not appear on any public website or be made available to the public during the contest’s duration.
9. Each film will be entered into the “Energy in 90 seconds” video competition where the top 3 videos will be selected and used in school presentations and other media channels.
10. Each team or student should keep at least one copy of their video. The Energy Unit is not responsible for any films that are lost, damaged, or that do not upload properly.
11. Submission period: All submissions must be received by November 15th, 2017 at 11:59 p.m and the winners will be announced by 5 p.m November 17th, 2017.
13. Videos submitted which do not adhere to guidelines mentioned above, received without title screen, or received after the closing date will not be accepted.
‘Power through your lens’ Photography Competition Guidelines:
1. There is no entry fee.
2. Open to all professional and amateur photographers.
3. This initiative seeks to demonstrate the creativity of Belizeans who are inspired and enthusiastic about energy efficiency and its benefits towards socio-economic and ecological changes. Each photo must focus on one or more of the following:
a. Energy and People
b. Renewable Energy
c. Access to
4. Photo submissions must contain one photograph and accompanying text. Text information should include:
b. Contact information
c. Location and date of photo
d. Brief caption of subject matter and meaning behind photo.
5. Each participant is allowed to submit one photograph to the competition. The entrant must be the copyright owner of the image submitted.
6. Photographs must be submitted in digital format (jpeg, jpg, png).
7. Entries must not be offensive in nature and must reflect the integrity of the theme.
8. Submission Period: All submissions must be received by November 15th, 2017 at 11:59 p.m and the winners will be announced by 5 p.m, November 17th, 2017.
10. Selected participants will be invited to display and discuss their photos at the Energy Awareness Fair during Belize Energy Week 2017.
11. Photographs submitted without description, in the wrong format or received after the closing date will not be accepted.
The judges will look for a creative, engaging and inspiring submission. Your entry will be judged on:
• Ability of your video or photograph to tell a compelling story about competition topics
• Quality of the video or photo submitted
• Originality and artistic ability
• Dramatic impact of the entry
Entrants agree to be bound by the official contest rules and decisions of the judges.
Prizes and Notification of Winners:
Monetary prizes for top three entries in both video and photography competitions.
a. 1st Place Winner - $500.00
b. 2nd Place - $300.00
c. 3rd Place - $200.00
In relation to the video competition, recognition and prizes will be given to the lead producer and all those listed as co-producers. If a group submits a winning video, division of cash prizes is at the discretion of the group members.
All finalists from both the video and photography competitions may also feature in future digital and print material from the Energy Unit and its close partners with full credit given to the original producer or photographer.